Please remember next time you go for a job interview:
1. Be punctual.
2. Use a firm handshake.
3. Dress accordingly but make sure your clothes don’t steal the show. You need to convince the recruiter with your skills.
4. Address the interviewer by name. Make sure you pronounce their name correctly.
5. Maintain eye contact with the interviewer, but don’t stare.
6. Make sure you go to the bathroom before the interview.
7. Show genuine interest in the company, the interviewer and the job.
8. Be alert and interested.
9. Be confident but never cocky!
10. Do not make any negative comments. Don’t bad-mouth any former employer.
11. Wait to be seated.
12. Put your bag on the floor and not on the desk.
13. Take notes on a note pad and not on your laptop.
14. Don’t interrupt the interviewer.
15. Make sure your cell phone is switched off.
16. Be polite to everyone, including the receptionist!
17. Pay attention to your body language. Stand and sit up straight.
18. Don’t lie because sooner or later you will be caught!
19. Don’t procrastinate when answering questions.
20. Be enthusiastic but don’t look desperate.
21. Be prepared. Do your research regarding job, company and interviewer.
22. Ask intelligent and relevant questions that will impress your interviewer.
23. Make sure you are well groomed.
24. Don’t smoke or eat smelly foods beforehand, and don’t chew gum during the interview.
25. Go to the interview alone (let parents, children, spouses, friends etc. wait outside the building if they accompany you).
26. Avoid being too tactile in an interview situation.
27. Don’t imitate your interviewer’s dialect.
28. Avoid complaining about your current or former employer
29. Thank the interviewer for their time and ask what the next steps are, if they haven’t already told you.
30. Send thank-you notes following the interview. Make yourself memorable.
Source: Karin Schroeck-Singh, Nuvvo